Sunday Brunch: Breaking all the rules

by YC



Gone are the days of following a set of style rules to determine whether you should wear a certain look, combination or color.  I get that our fashion ancestors had good intentions, and spoke from a place that addressed their era, but it’s 2012 and the Bougie in me says, ANYTHING GOES…within reason!

I recall watching an Oprah Winfrey Show episode where a European lady was a guest, discussing style, and boldly stated, “red and black is a horrible color combination!” What? Red and Black? How common is that? She was able to invoke a new thought in all of our minds, including the precocious host Oprah.  She went on to suggest color combos like navy and black as a chicer look.  In my book, navy and black [together] broke all the rules.  It was like wearing black tights with white shoes or stripes and floral! Horrid, until I tried it. 

Breaking the rules freed me.  It was able to take my style to another expressive level that others feared.  Although there are some unbreakable(s) out there, my newfound freedom comes from the girl I am within.   

Shirt/Skirt/Necklace - F21, Earrings - Claires, Shoes - CL


0 comments:

Post a Comment