It's okay to not fit in

Leather Jacket - Guess | Tank - Karen Kane | Skirt - Hints Downtown | Pumps - Jimmy Choo | Necklace - Vintage | Clutch - Louis Vuitton 


I came to high school wanting to be accepted.  I wasn’t like my siblings.  They seemed to have cracked the cool code, and I didn’t know where to even find it.  In school, I was never an individual to people.  Either they saw me as “Mrs. Broadie’s daughter” (My mom was an educator for many years and taught quite few people I went to high school with) or “Broadie’s sister” (Referring to my uber cool brother)! And I basically lived up to those titles, never really standing out, and not fighting for a position as an individual outside of my family! While in conversation with my sister, I learned that all of my siblings had high school superlatives (Best Dressed, Class Clown, and Best Hall Walker).  I wasn’t voted for anything, and it seemed to validate my thoughts of being overlooked.

This past weekend was my High School Class Reunion, and you can imagine my trepidations about returning to the place that I had chosen to put behind me.  In my mind, it wouldn’t have mattered if I were there or not.  And it turns out that I was right.  Let’s be clear, no one made me feel unwelcomed.  I spoke to as many as I could, jumped in pics, and left when I was over it, but it was no penetrating conversations that left me feeling like I have a new brunch partner or a new number to add to my Rolodex.

Standing back to observe the ambiance, I recognized that I still didn’t fit in, but this time it was okay.  I needed no validation or a superlative; I know who I am.  I didn’t have to be included in the after parties or late night breakfast, I was honestly excited about getting some sleep. 

So, as I proceeded to the reserved section at the homecoming football game, I was greeted by a classmate saying, “Hey, Mrs. Broadie’s daughter!” My response: Hey! It’s actually Yolanda C. Broadie



0 comments:

Post a Comment